1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys
will be sexually abused
before the age of 18
That's 20% of our population!
20% of our children will be sexually abused
20% of our adults have been sexually abused
The Center for Disease Control estimates that 5-20% of the population will get the flu each season. Think of every person who told you that they had the flu this past year or that their spouse had the flu or maybe your own child said he or she had the flu.
Imagine if instead they said:
I was sexually abused by my Dad
My husband was raped by his priest
My teacher touches me down there
Now realize that those people are probably just a fraction of the people YOU know who have experienced child sexual abuse. Just because you don't know who they are, doesn't mean it isn't happening. There are survivors all around you - in your community, in your neighborhood, and possibly even in your own home.
We've talked about it,
now let's visualize it!
What do these child sexual abuse statistics look like in YOUR life?
Complete our Child Sexual Abuse Assessment Worksheet (or use a piece of plain paper)
- Write the first name of every child you know under the age of 18. Include:
- Your kids, step kids, grandkids, siblings, nieces, nephews
- Your neighbors' kids, your kids' friends, your friends' kids
- Kids in your child's class, sports team, daycare or other extra-curricular activities
- Your colleagues' kids
- Kids in your faith organization
- Kids where you work
- Kids where you volunteer
- Circle the first girl and the first boy on your list
- Now circle every 4th girl and every 6th boy
Although you may not have the circles on the right heads, this is the number of children that you personally know who are likely to be sexually abused if you don't educate the adults around them to recognize the risk and intercede. Will you make a commitment today to take our free training to learn how to protect them?